I loved this new spin on sweet potato casserole! Both sweet and spicy flavors mix together to create this ultra flavorful dish.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes 3 1/2 to 4 lbs, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup unsalted pecan halves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a poil over high head. Add sweet potatoes, return to boiling and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer potatoes to the bowl of a stand mixer ( or use a large bowl and a hand held electric mixer).
2. Add coconut milk, cardamom, vanilla, salt, black pepper and cayenne to potatoes. Mix on medium speed until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl once or twice.
3. Transfer to a 9×9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle pecans evenly over sweet potato mixture.
4. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes and serve.
Note: I made this dish for Easter dinner but did the cooking in the crockpot instead.
Steps 1 & 2 as per recipe above. Next, lightly grease crockpot and transfer sweet potato mixture into crockpot bowl. Top with pecans and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.